Write On Right Now!: Sometimes you need to know when NOT to write- Writing Prompts & Exercises to Get You Writing Now!

Write On Right Now!

Once upon a time there was a girl who wanted to write. And that would be me. I've moved my journal about my writing life over to LiveJournal http://susanwrites.livejournal.com This blog will be filled with writing prompts and exercises so we can all write on right now! Please feel free to share your favorites.

Saturday, June 18, 2005

Sometimes you need to know when NOT to write

Rest is good. It has been so long that I felt rested that I almost didn't recognize the feeling. Whenever I finish a big project and the adrenalin fades, I go into a minor panic about the next project (which is still unidentified) and sometimes I just crash because it is finally safe to do so. But what I don't do enough of is to just sit still. Play with the dog. Watch the birds in the yard. Take naps. But I'm trying and I'm learning and I'm liking it. A lot. I no longer fear, as I did when I was younger (gawd, I don't know if I like the sound of that) that I won't be able to write again. I will. And it will be better than the last time but not as good as what comes after. I need to not only fill up the well but simply "be" without a deadline hanging over me. It isn't like I am thinking about taking 6 months off but I push myself so hard that taking a couple of weeks off feels like I am giving up writing all together.

But like I said, I am learning. And now is a time not to write but to rest, to read, to play. The words are there but the characters, thankfully, are whispering among themselves for a time. Life is good.

Write on, right now.
Susan

1 Comments:

At Sunday, June 19, 2005, Blogger Don Tate II said...

I have learned, in my short time as a writer, that there are definitely times that I need to put down my writing and focus on reading good writing. Thats where I am today.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home