Write On Right Now!: Inconsistency, intent, and new books- Writing Prompts & Exercises to Get You Writing Now!

Write On Right Now!

Once upon a time there was a girl who wanted to write. And that would be me. I've moved my journal about my writing life over to LiveJournal http://susanwrites.livejournal.com This blog will be filled with writing prompts and exercises so we can all write on right now! Please feel free to share your favorites.

Sunday, May 29, 2005

Inconsistency, intent, and new books

Oh boy, not posting to my blog in a timely manner invites more guilt than missing a diary entry ever did. Yikes. We hit crazy times at the day job and then, when the four-day weekend hit, I pretty much collapsed. I told myself I was only going to listen to my body, sleep when I needed to sleep, take naps when I wanted to, that sort of thing. After three days of that my brain is starting to wake up again. But of course, being me, I have beaten myself up ten different ways for not posting regularly. Cripes, I couldn't even be consistent for a month. It is doings like these that make me feel like any success I get is in spite of myself. Okay, not going to go down that path, really. (But it would be easy to do so.)

I have been thinking like a writer though and that makes me feel good. I go through periods where I just feel like I am masquerading as a writer and someone will find out, point their finger at me, and I will have to hand in my computer. Me, exaggerate? Not hardly. I got my color artwork for my Robert Smalls book this week and the illustrator did a great job. I was a bit worried when I first saw some of the sketches but I sent in my feedback and it looks like she took a lot of what I said to heart. Then on Friday I got my author's copies of my new picture book, Oliver's Must-Do List. There really isn't anything better than opening up that box and holding your baby in your hands for the first time. Even when you see artwork along the way it is different when you see it all put together in book form. Yeah! Oliver (the rhino) is adorable and hope moms and kids all over the place fall in love with Oliver. Now the fun stuff (not) all the publicity work. I actually enjoy a lot of it but as always am hampered by how much time it takes. I did a brainstorming session with my friend marketing whiz Toni Buzzeo and am really going to try and focus on doing a few things well and not trying to "do it all" which I am prone to try and do. First step is ordering postcards.

So I feel writerly again, however briefly. Interesting email from my agent that I hope will lead to an interesting discussion next week. Why can't I hold on to these feelings all the time?

Write on, right now.
Susan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home