Write On Right Now!: Quotes about writing- Writing Prompts & Exercises to Get You Writing Now!

Write On Right Now!

Once upon a time there was a girl who wanted to write. And that would be me. I've moved my journal about my writing life over to LiveJournal http://susanwrites.livejournal.com This blog will be filled with writing prompts and exercises so we can all write on right now! Please feel free to share your favorites.

Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Quotes about writing

So it's being a rough night around here in my non-writing life so I thought I'd share some writing quotes.

"Few children learn to read books by themselves. Someone has to lure them into the wonderful world of the written word; someone has to show them the way." Orville Prescott

"Don't wait. Writers are the only artists I know who expect to get somewhere by waiting. Everyone knows you have to dance to be a dancer, you have to sing to be a singer, you have to act to be an actor, but far too many people believe that you don't have to write to be a writer. So instead of writing, they wait. Isaac Asminov said it beautifully in just six words "It's the writing that teaches you." Writing is what teaches you. Writing is what leads to inspiration. Writing is what generates ideas. Nothing else-and nothing less." Daniel Quinn, The Story of B

"Find a subject you care about and which you in your heart feel others should care about. It is this genuine caring, not your games with language, which will be the most compelling and seductive element in your style." Kurt Vonnegut

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

"If you know some artists or writers, ask them about blank white paper. It is frightening. It scares you because it looks so white with expectation. White to signify hope. White to signify, 'Who do you think you are? Ha!' And white to signify the prizes you're going to win as a result of the drawing or story you put down on the blank white sheet of paper. And sooner or later, when you can’t think of any more errands, when you've gone to the bathroom one time too many, when you've lost your favorite pencil but you didn't do a good job and found it before you were ready and it's between your fingers twitching with anticipation, you touch it to the blank sheet of clean white paper. And it's over. The paper is ruined. The line you drew stinks. The prize goes to someone else. Who deserves it." Jules Feiffer

"I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves." Anna Quindlen

Write on, right now.
Susan

3 Comments:

At Wednesday, June 22, 2005, Blogger Kim / POWER OF RUN said...

Fantastic! I love the bookshelves quote (a current need at my house) and "don't wait." I think you may have listed the most important things we need to know about writing!

 
At Thursday, June 23, 2005, Blogger soaringcosmos.blogspot.com said...

True and insightful, all.

Especially the Hemingway quote.

 
At Thursday, June 23, 2005, Blogger Don Tate II said...

I love the quote by Daniel Quinn. That's kinda where I've been. Waiting. Now Im so full of words I feel I can no longer contain them.

Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home