Write On Right Now!: How important is catalog copy?- Writing Prompts & Exercises to Get You Writing Now!

Write On Right Now!

Once upon a time there was a girl who wanted to write. And that would be me. I've moved my journal about my writing life over to LiveJournal http://susanwrites.livejournal.com This blog will be filled with writing prompts and exercises so we can all write on right now! Please feel free to share your favorites.

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

How important is catalog copy?

I'm frustrated. I just got the catalog featuring my new picture book Oliver's Must-Do List. I find the page, nice large photograph of the cover. Nice picture of me. Nice picture of the illustrator. But the copy...oh no. I'm worried about it. Way back when I was going over the copy edits I expressed concern about the flap copy. They suggested I write it how I wanted it to be so I did and, thankfully, that's what they used. But the catalog has the original flap copy that is dry and gives away half of the book. (sigh) If the buyers depend on catalog copy to buy the book I am really worried.

I don't want to be grumpy about this but I can't help it.

Write on, right now.
Susan

7 Comments:

At Tuesday, June 21, 2005, Blogger Kim / POWER OF RUN said...

Ew...I hope that's not as bad as it sounds!Just from the title, the book sounds fun. I can't wait to check it out!

 
At Tuesday, June 21, 2005, Blogger Susan Taylor Brown said...

I think I was just in panic mode. One of my friends looked it up in her catalog and said it looked great and that the art was really fun, which it is. The illustrator has done a lot of those Highlights hidden pictures things so there are a lot of subtle things for kids to look for in the art.

Susan, the major worry wart

 
At Tuesday, June 21, 2005, Blogger Don Tate II said...

Im not sure about catalog copy, but I know jacket flap copy can haunt you for years. On my first book, SAY HEY! I described myself as a self-taught artist. I am self taught, but I didn't realize that would become a selling feature...EVERYWHERE. It was use on the jacket flap, the description showed up in reviews, in picturebook articles about the book and even on future copy pertaining to me. I had to tell future editors that although I am self-taught, I'm uncomfortable being identified that way. I don't know why.

 
At Wednesday, June 22, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

*sigh* Sending you big hugs! not that you're asking for advice, and not that I've had direct experience with this, but since it's something you can't fix/control now, try and let go, and focus on the positives - like your wonderful book! I'm looking forward to reading it! :)
debbi

 
At Wednesday, June 22, 2005, Blogger Susan Taylor Brown said...

Don, thanks for sharing. I made a goof on my flap copy with Can I Pray too. Nothing bad but it was my first picture book and I thought they might edit it and stuff. I was trying to be "cute" which is something I don't do very well, and they left it as it was. (sigh)

Debbi, thanks for the hug. I'm feeling better now. Probably because I am hoping to have some big news to share very soon.

Susan

 
At Wednesday, June 22, 2005, Blogger soaringcosmos.blogspot.com said...

Hi, Susan.

Try not to dwell on it. Your book will long outlive the first catalog.

Don Tate II said, "I know jacket flap copy can haunt you for years." I can so relate! I had nothing to do with the jacket flap copies for either of my books. I was asked to fill out a personality questionnaire thingy when I got the contract for the first. I must have noted on it somewhere that I like Scrabble (which, at the time, was my favorite board game).

Well, on the book jacket flaps I'm described as "an avid Scrabble player."

Do you know how many kids have challenged me to a game of Scrabble in the past 8 years?!?

The sad thing is, I'm not all that good :(

 
At Wednesday, June 22, 2005, Blogger Susan Taylor Brown said...

Thanks, Haemi. I'm doing better about it today but mostly because I have other things to worry about. :-) I wish I could come up with something really witty for the flap of my next book.

Susan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home