Write On Right Now!: Thinking about characters- Writing Prompts & Exercises to Get You Writing Now!

Write On Right Now!

Once upon a time there was a girl who wanted to write. And that would be me. I've moved my journal about my writing life over to LiveJournal http://susanwrites.livejournal.com This blog will be filled with writing prompts and exercises so we can all write on right now! Please feel free to share your favorites.

Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Thinking about characters

So it isn't really a writing day. The day job has been stressful as we just moved to a new building and we have had no AC for two days. Not fun. I was relaxing, reading Margaux with an X by Ron Koertge and when I got to the end, it was missing pages. Or rather the pages that were there were blank. The last 25 pages of the book or so. Two pages would print, the next two were empty, etc. Very frustrating. And I bought the book at Amazon so now I have to send it back to get a good one and it's just one of those things that is irksome, you know? Ditto the fact the new cafeteria at the new building has great food but we have to go outside and across the parking lot to the other building to get it and I am already worrying about winter and rain and contemplating what I will do on those days.

But I am thinking about the characters in VZ, reacquainting myself with them after a long absence and wondering, hoping, that they will do interesting things that make a good book. I think I've said it before, plot is a four-letter word to me.

"Plot springs from character. I've always believed that these people inside me these characters know who they are and what they're about and what happens, and they need me to help get it down on paper because they don't type." Anne Lamott

Write on, right now.
Susan

1 Comments:

At Tuesday, June 28, 2005, Blogger Kim / POWER OF RUN said...

Oh, that would really irritate me. When I rush through a book to get to the end, I expect the ending! And I want it now!

I wouldn't be big on walking through snow and rain to eat either. I think I'd opt for a Healthy Choice and a microwave in my office...or cube...or whatever :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home