Write On Right Now!: Play and childhood memories- Writing Prompts & Exercises to Get You Writing Now!

Write On Right Now!

Once upon a time there was a girl who wanted to write. And that would be me. I've moved my journal about my writing life over to LiveJournal http://susanwrites.livejournal.com This blog will be filled with writing prompts and exercises so we can all write on right now! Please feel free to share your favorites.

Friday, June 24, 2005

Play and childhood memories

It's been a play day of sorts for me with a bonus day off from work because we are moving to another building. I've been letting myself goof off, though I did finally answer all the interview questions and get that sent off.

Play isn't something that comes easy to me. It never did as a child (I was always told I was too serious) and it comes even less easily as an adult. A few years ago I wrote an article about how to think like a child. It helped me get in touch with some of my childhood memories so that I could access that child for a writing project. The article also spawned a THINK LIKE A CHILD workshop and a book which only goes to prove that you can reuse your own stuff again and again.

All writing is autobiographical. Like it or not, it reveals who we are and brings with it our own personal attitudes, perceptions and misconceptions about life. It is an organic process of constantly composting our pain, our joy, our past, and our present until we yield the necessary fertile, self-nurturing soil, and are finally able to write the stories that only we can tell.

In celebration of childhood memories here are few other fun links that cover multiple generations. Nostaliga Central And this great collection. Over at Time Machine Toys you can even BUY some of your old favorites.

This next part is Haemi's fault (VBG) because she posted a quiz on her blog and I answered it so when I saw this new game a few hours later. I was already preprogrammed to want to play. (okay...so this might have been a teeny tiny bit of procrastination about the interview, but not much.)

Remove the blog at #1 from the following list and bump every one up one place; add your blog's name in the #5 spot; link to each of the other blogs for the desired cross pollination effect.

1. Forward Motion
2. Okay Seriously
3. life as an urban princess
4. the stories of a girl
5. Write on Right Now!

Next: select new friends to add to the pollen count.
(Obviously no one is obligated to participate).

Haemi
Debbi
Kim

Then add your memories.

Five things I miss from my childhood:

1. Buying Esikmo Pies from the vending machine at Meadow Homes swimming pool.
2. Playing with the tar in the sidewalk.
3. My grandfather and the way he shared his Spam sandwiches with me.
4. Grandma's single layer yellow cake smothered in butter coming fresh out of the oven just as we finished dinner.
5. Mud

Write on, right now.
Susan

4 Comments:

At Saturday, June 25, 2005, Blogger soaringcosmos.blogspot.com said...

Ooh, a game! I love games! ;)

Going to go play now.

 
At Saturday, June 25, 2005, Blogger Sara Z. said...

Mud and playing with the tar reminded me of leaf races with my sister. When it rained hard, the gutters would fill with water and move fast. We'd each get a leaf, put it in the gutter, and run down the street to see whose leaf made it to the corner first. We didn't need no stinkin' toys!

 
At Monday, June 27, 2005, Blogger Don Tate II said...

I just noticed my names on your blog list. They may have been there all along, but Im just noticing them. Thanks for doing that considering some of my postings can be...let's say...maybe, irritating to some. I like to turn up the heat sometimes.

 
At Monday, June 27, 2005, Blogger Susan Taylor Brown said...

Sara, I'd forgotten about the leaf/gutter races. I didn't have anyone to race but I used to put a twig through a big leaf and wait to see it come out the other end!

Don, Yes, I added you a while ago, not long after I started. You're brave in ways that I'm not with your writing and I admire that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home