Write On Right Now!: New book fun- Writing Prompts & Exercises to Get You Writing Now!

Write On Right Now!

Once upon a time there was a girl who wanted to write. And that would be me. I've moved my journal about my writing life over to LiveJournal http://susanwrites.livejournal.com This blog will be filled with writing prompts and exercises so we can all write on right now! Please feel free to share your favorites.

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

New book fun

I love it when new books come in the mail.
About a year and a half ago I did a bunch of books for a Korean publisher. An editor sent me an email asking me to write for them. I expressed interest yet wasn't sure that anything would come of it. I ended up doing 13 books for their very young early/pre-reader program. They use books in English and the book on tape to teach English in the school. They're short and simple but the illustrations are adorable. One of my favorites is My Dog which they chose to illustrate using a Sapsali or Sapsaree dog which is an ancient Korean breed that was going extinct and they want to be able to include it in lessons about the dog history. Some of the books have songs and music written on the last page and all have some extra teaching activity written into the last few pages.

Writing lesson of the day? You don't have to walk through every door of opportunity that comes your way but take a good look at all of them. You just might find the perfect fit for you. The timing of working on these books was perfect for me because I was recovering from a major shoulder/back/neck injury and really couldn't manage to concentrate on writing a novel. You won't find these books in the bookstores or on Amazon but they'll be fun to share at school visits. I can't wait to for the rest of them to arrive.

Write on right now.
Susan

6 Comments:

At Wednesday, July 20, 2005, Blogger Don Tate II said...

Congratz Susan! Its always nice to read about successes. I have a ton of non-Amazon and non-bookstore books. I give them out at school visits as prizes. Those look so fun!

LOL @ the comment you left today! I'm glad people have a sense of humor about my rubbish.

 
At Wednesday, July 20, 2005, Blogger Kim / POWER OF RUN said...

That's awesome. I love the covers. They look like fun books to read. (And, I ought to know! You should have seen all our brand-new-reader homework last year. Very painful for both parent and child!)

 
At Wednesday, July 20, 2005, Blogger Susan Taylor Brown said...

Thanks Kim and Don! The books are really cute. Some of them have stickers in the back and stories with the words left out so the kids can fill them in. I can't find my tape player so I can listen to the tapes.

Don - good idea on the prizes for school visits. Gads....time to start working on those for Oliver.

 
At Thursday, July 21, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YAHOO for you! :)

And i hear it's your birthday! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

 
At Thursday, July 21, 2005, Blogger Modigliani said...

It's your birthday!!???

H A P P Y B I R T H D A Y

T O Y O U ! ! !

Those books look great, BTW. Congrats... what a nice birthday surprise to get them in the mail! :)

 
At Friday, July 22, 2005, Blogger soaringcosmos.blogspot.com said...

I wish I could reach into the photo and browse through them. They look beautiful!

Congrats :o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home