Write On Right Now!: I remember- Writing Prompts & Exercises to Get You Writing Now!

Write On Right Now!

Once upon a time there was a girl who wanted to write. And that would be me. I've moved my journal about my writing life over to LiveJournal http://susanwrites.livejournal.com This blog will be filled with writing prompts and exercises so we can all write on right now! Please feel free to share your favorites.

Sunday, July 17, 2005

I remember

I remember having one of the very early Barbie dolls that looked like this and when the new Barbie came out my mom took me down to Rhodes Department store to trade it in. We traded in my old Barbie and something like $1.00 and we got the new one in exchange. She had an orange bathing suit with some kind of netting over it and her arms and legs bent. I never ever liked it as much as my original one.

After Barbies, I went on to Little Kiddles and I really liked these guys. I had pretty much the whole set and figured I'd grow up to date a blonde-haired guy named Biff. (I didn't.) Also big were these Kiddie Kologne dolls that had strange perfume smells. There really weren't any kids in the neighborhood where I grew up so I had a lot of dolls and a good imagination.

I never had a shower in the house where I grew up so it was a bath every night before bed. My mom used to give me bubble baths with soap that came in these dispensers like cartoon characters. I must have had 50 of them lining the bathroom wall. Much to my grandmother's dismay.

And of course snack time was big after school and I would often opt for a space food stick and wash it down with some Hi-C. Mmmm....good.

I also remember when the telephone company first came out with the Princess phone. My mom got one in her bedroom and I got the little mini phone on a keychain. When I got older and started dating, my mom got me my own Princess phone with my own number (mom was single and dating too) and we used to call each other from our bedrooms to say goodnight.

This trip down memory lane brought to you from me, reclining on the couch and still recovering from oral surgery and trying not to think about going back to work tomorrow. What would I find if I followed you down your memory land?

Write on right now, Susan

2 Comments:

At Monday, July 18, 2005, Blogger Kim / POWER OF RUN said...

I've never heard of space sticks, but we lived on Hi-C out of those fat cans.

By the way, my 13 month old pants at your dog every time she sees the picture on your blog.

 
At Thursday, July 21, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG! I remember the Kiddie Kologne dolls! And the Space Sticks! And the Hi-C cans! Thanks for the walk down memory lane. My favorite dolls were those cotton dolls that had the velcro hands. what were they called? There was a Japanese girl doll one. My sister and I had a whole set and used them in our doll houses.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home