Write On Right Now!: Our inner monsters- Writing Prompts & Exercises to Get You Writing Now!

Write On Right Now!

Once upon a time there was a girl who wanted to write. And that would be me. I've moved my journal about my writing life over to LiveJournal http://susanwrites.livejournal.com This blog will be filled with writing prompts and exercises so we can all write on right now! Please feel free to share your favorites.

Thursday, July 28, 2005

Our inner monsters

"We're looking into ourselves, looking at the world around us, and letting our monsters out." Lenora Champagne

This way of looking at writing really resonates with me. We turn inward and force ourselves to face the sort of things you only whisper in the dark. I think that's where many a writer's core themes reside, in the darkened corners of our thoughts. At least that's where mine are. Most of my work has a theme of a missing parent. It might be from death, divorce, or just an emotional absence, but someone who is supposed to be loving and supportive is usually not available in my stories. I grew up without a dad, without ever knowing him or his family so the concept of family is really important to me and the pain of a missing part of the family comes from the heart of me, the monster I try to keep hidden and the monster who still threatens to make me cry.

I try to write about families with two parents but so far it's just not working. The pieces of me the make it to the page are the parts of me that are still trying to find out where I fit into a family equation. It seems my characters are often struggling with the same monsters.

What are your monsters and how do they affect your writing?

A bit of shameless self-promotion. Author Ellen Jackson interviewed me for her column Secrets Of Success. Here's the interview, my very first one online. Thank you, Ellen.

Write on right now.
Susan

5 Comments:

At Thursday, July 28, 2005, Blogger Modigliani said...

Nice. I think our monsters sort of make us who we are. So, maybe writers should just write from who they are: monsters and all. :)

 
At Thursday, July 28, 2005, Blogger Don Tate II said...

Good question. I'm not sure what my monsters are yet. Knowing me, I probably avoid monsters in my writing. I think those monsters affect my writing by my wanting to write in such a way to over come or over compensate for the monsters. I didn't have a dad either, so my characters will probably have strong father figures.

 
At Thursday, July 28, 2005, Blogger Kim / POWER OF RUN said...

So far, my characters are always crafty or clever kids. I'm not sure what that says about me. Maybe monsters hide better in picture books??

 
At Friday, July 29, 2005, Blogger Janni said...

Fears of being unworthy, not good enough. Of not finding that place where one fits into the larger world. Of being untrue to one's own self.

Becoming like one's parents, and not becoming like one's parents, both of which have the potential to be uncomfortable. The whole business of what we do and do inherit from our families.

All of those are things that wind in and out, unbidden. Though new stories tend to reveal new monsters, too. :-)

 
At Friday, July 29, 2005, Blogger Susan Taylor Brown said...

MoDigli, You're right, of course. Our monsters make us who we are. And hopefully, once we look close enough, the monsters fade from view.

Don, Avoidence is my favorite tactic too!

Kim,Hey, who are you to complain if your monsters are staying out of sight?

Egads, Janni, fear of becoming like one's parents. That's my biggest one right there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home