Write On Right Now!: Am I doing it right?- Writing Prompts & Exercises to Get You Writing Now!

Write On Right Now!

Once upon a time there was a girl who wanted to write. And that would be me. I've moved my journal about my writing life over to LiveJournal http://susanwrites.livejournal.com This blog will be filled with writing prompts and exercises so we can all write on right now! Please feel free to share your favorites.

Friday, May 13, 2005

Am I doing it right?

Can we ever really be sure that we are writing what we are supposed to be writing?

How would I, could I, know that I am doing it right? That I have actually found my writing spot in the world? Would I even recognize my spot if I found it? Or does it have to find me? For all I know I could have passed my spot and not even known it...but maybe I wasn't ready yet.

I feel that I am circling my spot sometimes like a wild dog, sniffing it out, trying to decide who has been there before, how long ago, and if I have it in me to defend a territory that I am not even sure is mine. I flit from spot to spot which is both bad and good. I want roots to grow but then I run away and am not sure if it is fear of the growth or fear of the possibility of no growth.

Does selling something in a particular genre mean that is your talent? If that's the case then why do so many bad books get published and so many great stories get left unsold? I know it is nuts for me to expect some little green light to go on over my head when I hit my "spot", a light that says "this is it - this what you're supposed to be doing" . So instead I wait for that gut feeling that says "yeah, this is it. This is what I wanted to say and I said it in a way that makes me proud." But there is the great equalizer in this business that when I have that great gut feeling, the industry says "no thank you". In light of that, I find it tough to keep searching for my spot.

But I suppose I have a serious stubborn streak because in spite of all the lack of answers I can't imagine not writing. Correction, I can imagine it, and the thought of not writing terrifies me more than the thought of writing without knowing if I am doing it right.

Write on, right now.
Susan

1 Comments:

At Friday, May 13, 2005, Blogger The Complimenting Commenter said...

Wow! Interesting post. Sometimes writing is for yourself and not for the industry. Keep trying and I hope that all of the pieces will fall into place. Both for you and the industry.

Thanks for stopping by earlier.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home